ヘッダー

2020/09/10

Thoughts on the Ballad


I wrote yesterday that I'm not nearly as interested in ballads, and well, I am. I don't really like ballads.

Having said that, what is a ballad, anyway?

Is it something specific to rock music? I can only vaguely come up with a fluffy definition of a ballad like "slow tempo and melodious", but there are literally an infinite number of songs that are "slow tempo and melodious" if they're not rock songs, right?

That's why I asked Wikipedia again.

Apparently "ballad" has several meanings, but what I'm interested in is "ballad in popular music" among them. The first excerpt says this.

--------------------------------------
The musical mainstay of the group is a slow tempo, quiet musical contemplation, beautiful melodic lines and harmonies, and sentimental lyrics, mainly of love songs, which are characterized musically by a quiet intro and dramatic build-up to the ending, with piano and other instruments.
--------------------------------------

Hmmm, I see. And furthermore, it says this.

--------------------------------------
It is difficult to judge whether a song whose title is not defined as a ballad qualifies as a ballad because it is conceptually different from jazz, HR/HM, and other musical genres. Even for the same artist, the criteria for what qualifies as a ballad or not qualifies as a ballad are different, and the definitions are varied and diffuse.
--------------------------------------

In short, it's difficult to define "ballad in popular music" exactly, and it's about as fluffy as "slow and melodious tempo", which is what I initially wrote as my subjective view.

And it's a ballad that fits that fluffy definition, but basically I'm not really interested in it. However, there are some songs I like, such as "The Price" by Twisted Sister, which I mentioned in yesterday's post.

I tried to think of a ballad that I liked, but I can't think of a single one. The first song that comes to mind when I hear the word "ballad" is "Home Sweet Home" by Mötley Crüe, but I don't really like it that much. Oh, I love Mötley Crüe, but I don't like him that much.


I think there are times when the minor ballads are rather pleasing to me... but I can't think of a single song.

But I can't think of a single song. We don't have anything...




Spotify_KANASHIBARI
Apple Music_KANASHIBARI

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿