ヘッダー

2020/11/12

I've added English subtitles


 

I just added English subtitles to "Mad on the Midnight Sun," which was released four days ago!



You can "turn it on/off" by clicking on the subtitle icon on the leftmost side of the icons lined up at the bottom right of the screen when watching on a PC, or the "cc" icon at the top right of the screen when watching on a smartphone.


This is the first time I've done an English translation of a song's lyrics... or so I think. I translate song titles into English because it's necessary to register on the overseas distribution site, but I don't think I've ever translated the lyrics of a song into English.


But it's a difficult thing to do. It's not enough to have lyrics that make sense. It's important to have a "feel for the words" and the atmosphere that comes from the words and phrases.


Especially in this song, the two most difficult parts are "Byakuya" and "Kyoue", ma'am. If you look up the word "midnight sun" in English, the first thing that usually comes up is "midnight sun". And the other words are "white night," "arctic night," and "short night.


At any rate, "midnight sun" seems to refer to the sun itself in the midnight sun, which is not the same as "white night". I think "arctic night" is also mainly referring to the Arctic, and "short night" seems to be used even if it's not a white night, so I chose "white night" by process of elimination.


But it's "white night", so it's "white night". Hmm, it's too straightforward, and I don't really like it.


And then there's "krazy". Speaking of "crazy", I think "crazy", "mad" or "insane" would be appropriate, but this time I chose "insane". Crazy" sounds like a crazy party, which is not quite right to me (prejudice).


I'll confess that at first, I changed "crazy" to "go crazy". In the other part of the song, I changed it to "frenzy , crazy". I was trying to make it consistent.


But yesterday, I introduced you to the idea of consistency, which was expressed by Mr. Yudetamago: "If you get hung up on the details, the content gets boring.


Yes, that's right. I just yesterday learned the lesson "don't be afraid to lose the plot", so I rewrote "crazy" to "insane" in a hurry.


Well, lyrics are more about atmosphere than meaning.



Spotify_KANASHIBARI


Apple Music_KANASHIBAR

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿